Effective Job Searching Presentation
Now that you are closing in to apply for an available position. What’s the next step? How can you get an edge over the millions of other job seekers out there?
Job Searching Presentation
Watch LinkedIn Learning Videos:
Expanding Your Networking Circle Overview
Creating professional connections is a valuable asset in your job search and later on when you want to advance in your field. From reaching out to friends for job leads and being one of your references, to finding out more about a company or industry by interviewing representatives, having a large network of acquaintances can be helpful.
*You must be logged into your Big Interview account.
Watch Big Interview Videos: “Networking” Videos
- Networking Part 1 of 3
- Networking Part 2 of 3
- Networking Part 3 of 3
- LinkedIn 101
- Online Presence & Portfolios
hiring event (also know as a job fair, career expo, career fair or a recruiting event) is typically held by employers, Department of Workforce, schools, or recruiters to promote open positions and many times offer on-the-spot interviews to interested candidates. These events are a great opportunity for job seekers to attend. An individual can meet employers, see what open positions are available, ask questions, identify the minimum requirements, and get a feel for the company and their expectations. Also, since many hiring events attract multiple employers, this gives the job seeker several opportunities to interact and network. This may open other options that you may not have considered. In addition, it’s a great chance to practice those interpersonal skills and have conversations with employers in a learning environment.
How to Perform Company Research Overview
Researching the company you are interested in is vital information. From knowing possible job opportunities and descriptions, opportunities for advancement, and pay scale, and company culture. You may be asked during your interview about what you know about the company, and any knowledge of the company you can share during your interview will show them that you have your done homework and are interested in working for them.
Please use all the following resources to get to know a company that you have interest in. You will be sharing this information as a group during face to face class time.
2. Social Media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.)
3. Glassdoor (Visit Glassdoor.com for company culture insight, past interview questions that have been asked and pay scale for jobs.)
4. News Articles
5. Check with your networks (those who work at those places you, interview, ask questions, etc.)
6. Payscale (Visit Payscale.com to find the pay scale for a position you would be interested in at the company of your choice.)
Assignment – Optional
How to Identify Potential Positions Overview
As you start looking for open positions that you have selected in your Career Action Plan, individuals can research in two ways: Identify open positions or identify companies/organizations that have the positions you have selected.
1. Identify open positions across multiple employers. Below are some online tools (select at least 5):
2. Identify companies/organizations that have the positions you selected and complete at least 2 steps below
- Visit their website to look for job opportunities (Careers, etc.)
- Participate at Hiring Events that your potential companies/organizations attend.
- Follow their Social Media (“Like” and start building a rapport with company)
- Reach out to the company: via email, Social Media (direct message), phone call
- Stop by and show your interest in the company and potential openings. Let them guide you on how to proceed with the application process.
3. Once you have found these open positions. The next step is to research the roles, duties, minimum requirements, and expectations of each position. You will find this information in the Job Description. Identify the key words, themes, and competencies for these roles.
4. Please submit the information on three potential positions you would consider applying for and why those three positions