A hiring event (also know as a job fair, career expo, career fair or a recruiting event) is typically held by employers, Department of Workforce, schools, or recruiters to promote open positions and many times offer on-the-spot interviews to interested candidates. These events are a great opportunity for job seekers to attend. An individual can meet employers, see what open positions are available, ask questions, identify the minimum requirements, and get a feel for the company and their expectations. Also, since many hiring events attract multiple employers, this gives the job seeker several opportunities to interact and network. This may open other options that you may not have considered. In addition, it’s a great chance to practice those interpersonal skills and have conversations with employers in a learning environment.
How to Identify Potential Positions
As you start looking for open positions that you have selected in your Career Action Plan, individuals can research in two ways: Identify open positions or identify companies/organizations that have the positions you have selected.
1. Identify open positions across multiple employers. Below are some online tools (select at least 5):
2. Identify companies/organizations that have the positions you selected and complete at least 2 steps below
- Visit their website to look for job opportunities (Careers, etc.)
- Participate at Hiring Events that your potential companies/organizations attend.
- Follow their Social Media (“Like” and start building a rapport with company)
- Reach out to the company: via email, Social Media (direct message), phone call
- Stop by and show your interest in the company and potential openings. Let them guide you on how to proceed with the application process.
3. Once you have found these open positions. The next step is to research the roles, duties, minimum requirements, and expectations of each position. You will find this information in the Job Description. Identify the key words, themes, and competencies for these roles.
4. Please submit the information on three potential positions you would consider applying for and why those three positions
Application Process Instructions
*Must be logged into LinkedIn Learning Account
1. Watch Individual LinkedIn Learning Videos
1. Create an account on EdJoin
2. Under My EdJoin, select “Print Profile”. Save information as a PDF.
3. Submit PDF via email.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Watch Big Interview Video: